There are several options available to move your files from your current provider:
Upload your web site files using some FTP program
To use this option, you will need to have some FTP program (CuteFTP, SmartFTP, Filezilla, Fetch for MAC, Transmit, WS_FTP, CyberDuck for MAC, etc) installed on your computer. If you have some HTML editing program with built-in publishing features (such as DreamWeaver or Adobe GoLive), you can use it as well.
To move your web site files to our server, you need to:
- Download your web site files from your old hosting provider to your local computer. (In case you already have a copy of your web site files on your local computer, you can skip this step)
- Once you have the files downloaded, you need to upload them from your computer to your hosting account on our server. The FTP connection details can be found in your hosting account Welcome email. If your web site consists of many files, it will be much easier and faster to upload an archive of the web site and extract it via your Control Panel's File Manager section.
If you need instructions on how to configure a particular FTP program, you may wish to check the following category in our online documentation - Uploading files.
The main folder where your web site files should be uploaded on our server is /www/www
- When you have all your web site files uploaded to the server, you can test if the site is working fine online. In case your domain name is still pointed at your old web hosting provider, you can use the temporary URL listed in your account's Welcome email to test the site. It should look something like http://username.your_server.com, where username is your account username and your_server.com is the name of the hosting server where your account is located.
- If your site is database driven, you may need to alter some system paths, database connection settings, import your database to our server, etc.
Use the FTP Migration Manager available in your hosting Control Panel
In case you do not have an FTP program or you wish a server-to-server transfer of files, you can use the FTP Migration Manager available in your web hosting account Control Panel. It gives you an option to download your site files from your old hosting provider server to ours without the hassle to download the files to your local computer first.
To use the FTP Migration Manager you need to:
- Log into your hosting Control Panel at our server, enter the FTP Migration section, and specify your old hosting account FTP details (as remote host you need to use the IP address of your old hosting server) and start the transfer. (see FTP Migration Manager)
- Once the transfer is completed, you can test if the site is working fine online. If your domain name is still pointed at your old web hosting provider, you can use the temporary URL listed in your account's Welcome email to test the site.
- In case your site is based on server-side scripting, you may need to alter some system paths, database connection settings, import your database to our server, etc.
Use the cPanel importer available in the hosting Control Panel
If you are moving a site from a service that runs cPanel, you may download a cPanel archive of your data and import it on our end by using the cPanel subsection of the hosting Control Panel > Migration section.